Homecoming Scotland 2014

Back in January, I tracked down my great-great-great grandfather at the ScotlandsPeople Centre. This month, I traveled to the other side of Scotland and saw the land of my maternal ancestors. I walked the same streets of Glasgow that they walked, went to their church of Paisley Abbey (check out the view), visited their last known address in the old country, and saw their graves in Greenock.

Then I walked down to the water, to the place where the River Clyde meets the sea, and stood on the docks were my great-great-great-grandfather left Scotland more than 150 years ago. The water was a steely purple-grey and as I looked westward, the fog appeared and took over, wrapping the scene in a soft whiteness.

Suddenly it seemed like the rest of the world disappeared, and all that was left was me in my coat, huddled on the edge of that dock, and the dark water disappearing into fog. To stand in the same spot as my own ancestor was pleasantly haunting, and after a month of exploring Scotland, I finally felt a strong and sacred connection to this faraway place that granted me a name, a penchant for butter, and an inability to tan. Alba gu bràth.

Next year marks Homecoming Scotland 2014, an open invitation to all to return to Scotland and celebrate everything that’s great about being Scottish. I can tell you that there is no greater emotion than traveling to the land of your ancestors and making that very personal connection, which is why I intend to return, again and again, to the land of my clan, and one of the most beautiful spots on Earth.

Hope to see you there.

Standing on the boat dock in Greenock, where my great-great-great grandfather left Scotland more than 150 years ago. (Photo by Andrew Evans, National Geographic Traveler)

Comments

1. Julie H. Ferguson
    Canada
    September 29, 2013, 12:56 pm

I will be there too enjoying it all! After all, my name is Ferguson.
    (I’m also going for the Canadian Perishers’ Reunion for submarine captains on the Clyde. My husband was one and I’ve written two books on the Cdn Submarine Service.)

2. Becky Shaw
    Scotland
    October 3, 2013, 4:41 am

If you fancy an informative guide to rail journeys when you’re in Scotland, have a look at our free-to-download app. You’ll find it on http://www.snh.gov.uk/train
    Hope you like it. Cheers, Becky

3. Michael Houston
    United Kingdom
    October 5, 2013, 3:58 am

I live in Greenock! As much as I might call it a dump, it is a really nice place and tourists love it. You’re welcome any time.

From a fellow blogger

Michael

4. Tina Somberg-Buiks
    The Netherlands
    October 29, 2013, 7:09 am

Can imagine how you felt standing on ‘home ground’ and visiting the places that were important for your family. There are quite a few people in the Netherlands with Scottish roots and I am trying to help them visiting the important places by creating made to measure trips for them. Just had an enquiry from a MacKay (in The Netherlands called MacKaaij) who would like to visit the north where they used to live.
    Tina

5. Alabama Rabbit – Digital Nomad
    June 9, 2014, 3:54 pm

[…] “My people come from Scotland, too,” I said, and for a moment, we explored any possibility that somehow we were kin. […]

6. Paulina
    Gi9T98iPiT
    April 13, 12:18 pm

Kedves GOLD és WING nevet ajánlók!Az ajánlások száma egy szint után már nem befolyásolja feltétlenül a választást, ezért többször már nem érdemes beírni ezeket a neveket. Majd a szavazáskor kell aki¡dtzÃilóvni.

7. 人気エルメスバッグコピー品