Though my life resembles a nonstop vacation, it’s not very often that I simply take a trip for the sake of taking a trip.

Travel is always thrilling for me, but it’s also my job, so I was grateful for the chance to take a few days off and explore Mexico City, sans internet or any heavy cameras. Instead, I just carried my humble little iPhone (airplane mode) and took random conservative snaps all around what might be the most exciting city on Earth.

On Memorial Day, most American hit the beach, but I opted for Mexico’s bulging-at-the-seams, never-sleeps, incandescent capital. Yes, I’ve been before, but I’ve never really had the chance to explore freely among this urban terra incognita. I don’t think there is any other place on Earth that feels so much like a round-the-clock playground as Mexico City. (I also ate my weight in tacos and churros, but that’s what vacation is for, right?)

So how is that any different than what I do all the rest of the year? Well, my jaunt to Mexico City was different because I wasn’t sharing it with all of YOU. I almost feel guilty for that, hence my posting these phone pics a week after the fact.

Overall, I had a splendid time in the world’s largest city, and if any of you have ever considered going, let me second the motion. Mexico City is amazing, in that I was “amazed” every time I stepped out on the street or rode the metro from one stop to another. In fact, I am still amazed now, even back at home in sleepy, sticky DC.

Anyway, thanks for giving me a weekend off. We’ll be hitting the road soon enough and when we do, I promise it will be almost as exciting as Mexico City.

Comments

1. ScottE
    NV
    May 31, 2013, 11:13 am

I’m curious what your accommodations were like. What is the cost to stay there on average ? And how did you find the Metro for its ease of use?

2. laura
    Switzerland
    June 1, 2013, 7:43 am

Is the place in the world that I miss the most .. your article made me feel nostalgic… cheers and thanks for share

3. Alejandra
    Mexico City
    June 1, 2013, 6:46 pm

This city is not my hometown but im living here for a few months. I always thought it could be a little insecure place (as anyother turistic place in the world you have to have an eye on your stuff) but is awesome!! when i was riding the metrobus I felt for a second like I was in London, Shanghai or NY, it has all the services and follows the latest trends in architecture, food, clothing, entertainment and more, this is a metropoly! But never forgetting what gives mexicans our identity: historic places, colonial buildings (as a result of European colinization) good food (tacos yeeeeeeeeees real tacos), pyramids, folkrore, music and one of the richest museums on earth! Mexico is sincretism and I love it!

4. lee
    Paris
    June 2, 2013, 2:58 am

Feel like being in Mexico- Shared the atmosphere of MC- Greetings from Montmartre

5. Lisa (@MsBoice)
    Toronto (for today and then heading back home)
    June 2, 2013, 6:29 pm

I love the photo of the girl and her mother, especially with the artwork in the background. Brilliant shot.

6. [...] Mexico City by iPhone [...]

7. Tom
    DUBLIN
    June 20, 2013, 6:08 am

Been to Cancun before but never been to Mexico. We have booked a holiday in Mexico for October with Tour America. We got a great deal so will travel about bit more this time.

8. absolute health fitness
    June 23, 2013, 12:17 pm

Mexico is great place.

9. exotic travels and vacations
    June 23, 2013, 12:17 pm

I want to visit Mexico soon.

10. Tom
    Dublin
    June 27, 2013, 9:59 am

Only been to Cancun planning a trip back to Mexico soon will defiantly check out Mexico city. I have look at flights on Tour America and price a great value at the moment.

Whats the best way of traveling around Train, Bus

11. Amparo Carrera
    Mexico
    June 27, 2013, 9:42 pm

Awesome pics! Mexico City is an incredible place, wonderful and yet terrible, it has it all and nothing in the end. One of the many places on Earth worth visiting more than once!!

12. フィットフロップ ブーツ
    September 4, 2013, 9:52 pm

Because what the spouse is saying is that their player/spouse is better than the team.