Exactly one year ago I was traveling in South Africa, exploring the disparate coastal cities of that magnificent country while filming a documentary for the National Geographic Channel: “The World In Two Cities”.

As someone who normally stands behind the camera, it was a terrific honor to host such a well-made film in such a special corner of Africa. I was so grateful for the chance to share everything I love about the brilliant cities of Cape Town and Durban with the rest of the world.

I hope you can catch the full show on television, but for those who want a sneak preview, you can catch me in this clip, tracking rhinoceros, cooking up some Cape Malay cuisine, diving with sharks, meeting Gandhi’s granddaughter and making some unforgettable African friends.

I owe a huge thank you to the director, producers, cameramen, and crew for doing such a beautiful job. I am also deeply indebted to the multitude of South Africans who helped make this film possible.

I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I enjoyed making it.

Comments

1. Anoop Savio
    India
    May 14, 2013, 7:01 am

Congrats on the work. Have to watch it this night.

2. Donna Kramer
    May 14, 2013, 11:57 am

Very well done, Andrew! Thank you so much for posting this link on Twitter. It infused HOPE in my heart today :-)

3. jeannette hooper
    clearwater fl
    May 14, 2013, 3:10 pm

once again thank u andrew fell in love with S.africa

4. [...] via @WheresAndrew – In high school I was a big fan of the idea that if you watch the movie, you don’t have to read the book. This mentality has carried over into my adult life, meaning I’d much rather watch a documentary about a subject than read a lengthy essay on it. So, behold: a documentary about South Africa. [...]

5. James Kennedy
    NWA
    May 17, 2013, 9:46 am

Hmm, I think you like the term “melting pot” quite a bit, don’t yah?

May 17, 2013, 5:53 pm

Perhaps. I think I like the actual concept better than the term, but thanks for watching.

6. Mike Migensen
    May 18, 2013, 6:49 am

I was very happy to watch the movie. It was really interesting for me. I Love and appreciate all the National Geographic works so far because I beleive some of the best experts work there. I also learned a lot from your travel blog which is one of the top ranked blogs. Thanks;]

7. parul
    India
    May 19, 2013, 7:02 am

Nicely done Andrew, South Africa is on my list once I finish Gounesco the challenge to visit world heritage sites in India in 2013. Being an Indian I see multi culturism all around me and can’t wait to visit SA soon.
    Your blog has been quite helpful for my own blog

8. susan prince
    Wolverhampton
    May 21, 2013, 5:01 am

Hi, started to watch “The world in two cities” amazing documentary from 13th May. Gutted we had a power cut half way through & couldn’t get playback on my tv! huff!!
    What were the two cape malay dishes You helped to cook in the Bo Kaap………..I really need to go there, icecream coloured houses, stunning!

9. Solomate Travel
    May 21, 2013, 9:51 am

Sounds like a great doc – we will have to check it out.

10. Richard
    Cape Town
    June 5, 2013, 2:17 pm

Hi, Just watched the documentary here in Cape Town, good to see Durban and Cape Town from your point of view, life will be less full if we all live in a homogeneous culture, Cape Town is a fantastic place to live, but of all the Cities in South Africa I think Joburg is the best example of a compilation city.

11. stock
    July 5, 2013, 7:07 pm

Hello there, Cool posting. There is an situation using your web-site inside web traveler, can check this? IE ‘s still industry chief plus a substantial element of consumers will leave from the wonderful crafting because of this dilemma.