After burning my tires across 5,000 miles of Texas roads, I can say with confidence that I know Texas slightly better than I did a month ago. My travels in the Lone Star State became a month-long search for self-discovery and digging deep to find out what it really means to be Texan. I learned much.

I also learned that Texas is just way too big to fit into any one blog or any single list, but I can share a few of my most distinct memories and favorites from the place where I was born. Though I know I only mildly scratched the gargantuan surface of a big place, this list represents my very best of Texas:

Comments

1. Leigh
    Canada
    April 15, 2013, 8:55 am

Did you miss Big Bend National Park? I loved it and would nominate The South Rim Trail as the best hike in Texas.

2. Andrew Evans
    April 15, 2013, 9:20 am

Nope, I did not. I spent 3 days in Big Bend National Park & if you read my list, I listed it as “Best National Park”. It’s a favorite, for sure!

3. exotic travels and vacations
    April 15, 2013, 10:34 pm

Thanks for sharing those list of the best of texas.

4. Erin Holte
    April 17, 2013, 10:40 pm

Sounds like Pecos is the place to be!

5. Steve
    Ontairo
    April 20, 2013, 5:22 pm

Love Texas in the winter (beats the snow at home). Good list of bests in Texas, but you missed Pizza – Home Slice Pizza – right across from Allen’s. Thanks for the Big Bend video and to see that you can get across to Boquillas again. We were there on a 7 month trip across the east, west and gulf coasts of the US with our young sons over the winter of 1991/1992 in a 35′ travel trailer. Best trip we ever took. Happy travels.

6. Roger Owens
    Kent, OH
    April 27, 2013, 8:39 am

Can’t believe you didn’t list favorite winery. I’ll have a good idea dater this next week.

7. buy oakley sunglasses cheap
    April 27, 2013, 12:17 pm

I agree with others, I would LOVE to be able to just send updates from FTM to Ancestry when I’m ready rather than the whole tree! As it is now, I’ve got changes in FTM and would like to sync up JUST those changes, but then I’ll have to re-invite my family members all over again even if I use the same tree name.

8. The Tablescaper
    New York
    April 27, 2013, 12:21 pm

Now that is one seriously comprehensive analysis of Texas.

I host a weekly linking party called “Oh, the PLACES I’ve been!” and would love to have you link up. The link goes up Thursdays at 7 pm EST. Hope to see you there!

- The Tablescaper

9. Yosemite Sam
    Yosemite, KY
    May 28, 2013, 4:01 am

Did you list the Red Top Cafe, in Orla,TX, as the best in Texas because it ain’t open and you can’t get bad food there, thus making it the best, or what?

10. Best of TEXAS | FounditGood
    May 31, 2013, 6:12 am

[...] Click here to view original web page at digitalnomad.nationalgeographic.com [...]

11. Karly
    June 18, 2013, 10:07 pm

If you missed Huntsville then I guess you didn’t get to see the best electric chair named “Ol’ Sparky” haha ;o)