What’s the best job in the world? (Well, besides mine?)

How about inventing new ice cream flavors for Blue Bell?

Christy Moran, food scientist and flavor developer at Blue Bell Creamery in Brenham, Texas (photo by Andrew Evans, National Geographic Traveler)

That’s exactly what food scientist and dietician Christy Moran does at Blue Bell Creamery.

“We eat ice cream every day!” she explained to me when I toured the world-famous ice cream maker in Brenham, Texas. Christy and her team get to play with ice cream in their lab until they come up with the best new flavors.

How do they decide what the next flavor will be?

“We think about what you like to eat and we put it in ice cream!” Christy told me. For months, the Blue Bell team pours through food magazines and cookbooks, and even accepting ideas from other Blue Bell employees. From a list of around 200 ideas, Blue Bell developse 5-6 new flavors each year. Most of these flavors are seasonal, because Blue Bell only uses ingredients that are fresh and in season.

I made it quite clear on Twitter that my favorite Blue Bell flavor was Lemon Bliss, which I was able to eat right out of the carton as part of a “consistency test” in the lab. I also had to sample the Red Velvet, and Blue Bell’s bestselling “Homemade Vanilla” right off the line. Yum.

Another hard day at work for me, of course, but given that we still can’t get Blue Bell back home, I needed to optimize my opportunity down here in Texas.

"Testing" the Lemon Bliss ice cream at Blue Bell Creamery in Brenham, Texas (Photo by John Evans)

“Testing” the Lemon Bliss ice cream at Blue Bell Creamery in Brenham, Texas (Photo by John Evans)

————–

Visitors can tour Blue Bell Creameries in Brenham, Texas, Mon-Fri 8:30 am-3 pm

Comments

1. INA EISENBERG
    Delray Beach, Florida33445
    April 7, 2013, 8:30 am

I absolutely love Blue Bell ice cream & am very happy that we
    are now able to get it in my area. However, it is almost impossible to buy the reduced or light fat that is advertised.
    Is that sold only in various areas other than in south Florida?

2. Maria-Emilia
    Miami
    April 8, 2013, 10:54 am

I was introduced to the creaminess of Blue Bell only six months ago. I don’t know what type of ice cream I was enjoying before this. It’s too good.

One of the perks of moving to Miami.

3. Oliver S. Ewing
    LaPlata, Maryland
    April 14, 2013, 1:31 pm

I lived down in Olive Branch, Mississippi back in 2009 for about 9 months. Blue Bell Ice cream was the best that I have ever Tasted in my life. I which that it could be sold in stores here in Maryland. Yum-o.

4. Erma Loveland
    Abilene, Texas
    April 15, 2013, 11:35 pm

When each of our grandchildren finished their 4th grade, we took them to anywhere of their choosing — as long as it was in Texas. The granddaughter who picked Austin, Washington-on-the Brazos, and all parts in between, selected Blue Bell Ice Cream plant as the very best part of the trip!

5. NW
    April 27, 2013, 4:33 pm

I can’t count the number of times I’ve been to the Blue Bell factory on the way to Austin from Houston. It honestly is the best part of the drive, especially if you love ice cream! There is nothing better than their homemade vanilla! You indeed have a pretty cool job.

6. Adan Maza
    Brenham, Texas
    May 7, 2013, 10:21 pm

I LIVE THERE!!!!!!! WE GET IT AT HEB STRAIT FROM THE FACTORY!!!!

7. Dra
    Anderson-Shiro
    May 16, 2013, 10:17 am

5grade is coming on the 17th

8. Donna Lollar
    Phoenix AZ
    May 29, 2013, 10:05 am

My family loves and only buys Blue Bell Ice Cream!
    We just had the Blackberry Cobbler, YUMMY…but, wish it had blackberries in it, not just the puree.

9. Cheryl Gilchrest
    Virginia Beach. 23462
    May 29, 2013, 7:54 pm

I love Lemon Bliss and cant wait for it to rotate back into my local grocery.

10. Bart Scrivener
    Los Angeles
    May 31, 2013, 5:29 pm

How on earth did the author miss the fact that SpaceX recently delivered Blue Bell ice cream to very grateful astronauts at the International Space Station? That should have been the lede.

11. Dan Smith
    North Chicago, IL
    June 11, 2013, 8:02 pm

I was stationed in Little Rock for a few years with the Navy and fell in love with this stuff. Now any time I visit my in-laws in Tyler area I get a tub of it. Glad to hear people saying it’s in Florida. That’s where the Navy is transferring me next!

12. Kim En Wu
    Korea
    July 14, 2013, 12:26 am

I also like ice cream.I mean,I love ice cream.I wish I can work there.thanks for this article. I learn more about ice cream.
    PS-I like mint flavor ice cream^^

13. Songs for Homesick Texans
    August 15, 2013, 9:58 am

[...] came across a video recently about touring the Blue Bell Ice Cream factory in Brenham (near of Austin) and thought “Why the hell haven’t I done this yet?” [...]

14. Jackie Mills
    Salado, Texas
    September 14, 2013, 11:26 pm

Yesterday we opened a new carton of Homemade Vanilla and there on top was a Happy Face! We took a picure of it before we dove into and ate the image. Want see our photo? Your factory worker needs to be kicked upstairs to the Marketing Department. We are still laughing.

15. [...] because this was cited as the bestseller of the Blue Bell Ice Cream flavors by Andrew Evans in an article that came out on the Digital Nomad section of National [...]

16. William Stolf
    January 15, 10:32 pm

So the happy face is safe I take it? Because I can’t find the article talking about the Happy Face.