Kids see the world so much differently than we do, which is exactly why it’s so much fun to travel with children.

While I’m exploring Norway solo, one city in particular has brought out my inner child, and that’s Stavanger, in the southwest corner of the country. With its industrial history and current oil-town status, I didn’t expect so many fun and one-of-a-kind kid-friendly activities–and yet, I’ve spent the last three days playing as hard as a child on summer vacation.

Norway is already listed among the 100 Places that Can Change Your Child’s Life, but anyone considering a trip with children might also consider visiting the following. Each is fascinating, highly educational and just plain fun:

• The Norwegian Petroleum Museum: Ever wonder how they get oil out of the middle of the North Sea and into your car? Discover every aspect of the oil industry and then play on one of the coolest playgrounds in the world, built entirely from recycled materials used on Norwegian oil platforms.
  • The Science Factory: My favorite place by far, the Science Factory is in nearby Sandnes and serves as a high-tech playpen for kids of all ages. Stargaze in the planetarium, check out today’s sunspots with the solar telescope, build your own computer, find out how your brain works
  • The Norwegian Canning Museum: this real-life herring factory teaches kids all about Stavanger’s past economy, with fun, hands-on exhibits that showcase the serious work ethic of child workers in the past century.
  • Iron Age Farm: Go back in time to before the Vikings and step into this authentic Iron Age Farm, recreated on the site of an archaeological dig. See how our ancestors lived 1,500 years ago and practice skills with some of the actual tools that they used to survive.

Comments

1. karin
    May 23, 2012, 11:41 am

Great to read about your trip in Norway! You have to continue up north and visit lofoten, tromsø and svalbard…look forward to reading more.

2. Anita
    Stamsund
    May 23, 2012, 1:27 pm

If you still are in Norway and want to go to Northern Norway: http://www.stamsund-internasjonale.no/2012/

In Stamsund It lives 1400 people, but there are 3 theatres and one theatre festival. And of course fish and mountains.

3. julie monsen
    stavanger
    May 23, 2012, 11:30 pm

great to read.. did you know that I havewritten a guide book for young kids
    ‘Teddy in Stavanger’.its for sale at the Tourist office in Stavanger….. if you send me an address I can send you a copy so you and Teddy can go around the center of the city the next time you are here !
    good luck

4. Francis
    California
    May 23, 2012, 11:53 pm

I hope you visit Ålesund, I want to read about your adventures in Ålesund!.

5. Tina Nylund
    Miami, Florida
    May 24, 2012, 11:06 am

I want to THANK YOU for the wonderful photos that you have taken in Norway. My husband is from Narvik and we look at all the photos on here and it makes us miss it so much. We will be going this year but please don’t stop taking the photos they are just fantastic. :)

May 24, 2012, 1:56 pm

You are most welcome Tina! Thanks so much for your kind comments. I can only respond that Norway is such a photogenic country, it makes taking pictures that much easier! I do hope to make it up to Narvik, someday. Best to you and your husband!

6. [...] Take the kids to Stavanger! [...]

7. [...] mai 2012 fikk Vitenfabrikken besøk av National Geographic! Se hva de mente om oss: The Science Factory: My favorite place by far [...]