Seven hours across the Atlantic, I nose-kissed the airplane window and waited for my first glimpse through the invisible whiteness below. As we dropped back to Earth, the white clouds pulled away like white cotton stuffing, revealing white snow.

Spring snowdrifts still coated the upper reaches of the growing landscape: a blanket of fir trees among the piles of gray stones, a few unplanted fields and farms and then the silvery stretch of sea, unmarred by a single wave.

“So this is Norway,” I thought to myself, and with that simple revelation, everything I had ever read on the subject was replaced by my own brief first image of a place I have longed for ever since I saw it on a map. You can study a place your whole life—dream of traveling there, hang your wall with the most compelling travel posters of all time, but none of it will never compare to arriving there yourself for the first time.

The name “Norway” (or Norge in Norwegian) derives from the old Norse words norð vegr, or “North Way”. As a traveler, it’s hard not to fall in love with a country named for a cardinal direction—and it’s equally impossible not to admire Norway’s illustrious travel traditions, from the swarthy Vikings who set off in open-air longboats to ruddy polar explorers like Roald Amundsen who maintained that, “Adventure is just bad planning.”

Norwegians taught the rest of us how to travel—to explore beyond the limits of what we see from our own front door and to use whatever we have—the wind, the waves, a team of dogs, or skis strapped to our feet—anything at all to propel us forward and into the world. This is what the “north way” means to me—to never stop exploring; that only by traveling do we find our own true home.

Norway is home to so many adventurers and explorers that I wanted to come here and discover the homeland that inspired so many: Heyerdahl drifted west, Amundsen went south, and the Vikings sailed as far east as Istanbul. And me? I will head north.

I came to Norway to follow this ancient and northern way and for the next few weeks I will be exploring this most magnificent country, one fjord at a time.

The thrill of my northern adventure combats my jet lag just enough for me to tap out this wee blog post from the quiet heart of Oslo.  It is well past my bedtime, but outside, the sky is as bright as a morning in Tuscany.

Indeed, light is the subtle secret of Scandinavia, now growing stronger by the day. As  a traveler, I am lucky enough to be following the sun as it moves north, across Norway.

I hope that you’ll follow along with me. That way we can all chase in summer together. . . the northern way.

Comments

1. Reetesh Sharma
    Chennai, India
    May 16, 2012, 12:07 am

You are an inspiration to me :)

2. The World Is My Cuttlefish
    Perth, Western Australia
    May 16, 2012, 2:32 pm

I flew into Norway one summer morning and the impression of a blue and green country with dashes of white held true for my entire visit. I’ll be interested to hear of your journeys through the northern white.

3. James White
    Ottawa, Canada
    May 16, 2012, 5:47 pm

Andrew,
    My wife and I will follow you to Norway around the end of May, basically OsloBergen-Hurtigruten cruise to North Cape and south to TrondheimOslo. We were therefore glad to find your timely blog today and look forward to reading about your experiences.

4. Forward – Digital Nomad
    May 20, 2012, 4:21 am

[...] Norwegian explorers I admire most all built boats with specific journeys in mind.  Viking ships were crafted especially for the open [...]

5. Jude Anne Gossin
    Utica, NY
    May 26, 2012, 2:35 pm

This is such a beautiful country, thank you for sharing, Andrew.

6. Oda
    Oslo
    May 29, 2012, 1:47 am

Hello!
    How long are you staying in Norway?

7. Ole Christian Backer
    Norway
    June 11, 2012, 8:53 am

And You should also know, that it was not Columbus that found America. Leiv Eiriksson found it almost 500 years before Columbus…

8. San Diego mobile apps development
    August 20, 2013, 2:56 am

WE literally greet to the writer of the content. The way you put together and delivered the piece of information that is fantastic. It sounds you have very deep information about the article of the post.Each person possibly can write, but the format the author of post has written it’s extremely might need time and creativeness. Not everyone can publish with brilliant ideas neither creativeness but you perfectly have done a great job.I am in actuality interested and would love to visit again and read your articles.

9. Professional MRI Coil Repair Service Provider
    August 22, 2013, 1:29 am

I Do in actuality greet to the creator of the write-up. The way you explain and displayed the piece of information which is wonderful. It sounds you have very complete information with regards to the topic of the post.Just about every person may want to write, but the format the article writer of post has written it’s realistically require time and originality. Not everyone can craft with brilliant ideas neither originality but you without a doubt have done a great job.I am pretty much curious and would love to check out again and read your blogs.

10. Alfonzo Emami