Welcome to Cape Town . . . again.

I’m back! So welcome back to this colorful seaside port that I only just recently came to know and which I’ve been desperately missing ever since I left.

Since first landing here two weeks ago (aboard the National Geographic Explorer), I have clocked some 25,000 miles by land, sea, and air, traveling deep into central Africa, then all the way back to America and then back to Africa once more.

Airplanes tend to travel faster than our minds do, so that right now, as I tap out this post in a room above Long Street, in the purple evening shadow of Table Mountain, my brain is pulsating with a hundred thousand Technicolor memories of the past few weeks: a sea of penguins, the stormy ocean, one dead president, the snow-covered Rockies, and one airport after airport: DKR, DCA, SLC, ATL, IAD, JNB and now back to CPT.

Returning to Cape Town marks the end of my five-week journey from Cape to Cape (Cape Horn to the Cape of Good Hope). In that time, I have traveled from Buenos Aires to Tierra del Fuego and the Falkland Islands, then on to the snowy mountains of South Georgia and across the South Atlantic to the rare and remote Tristan Da Cunha island group where I met up with old friends and reached one of the most inaccessible places on earth. I finally made it to Cape Town, on the other side of the ocean, then hopped up to Africa’s warm heart: Malawi.

In the tradition of the old old explorers and those ancient mariners who crisscrossed the globe by sea, I have returned to Cape Town to recharge my batteries, to stock up on provisions, to finally change my razor blade (which hasn’t changed for the past five weeks!) and to ingest enough vitamin C to prevent scurvy.

Cape Town is a city of travelers for travelers and I confess I feel quite at home here–perhaps that’s because the whole world is at home here. Before I go back to globetrotting, I shall trot myself around this one city that embodies the entire globe.

After all, this is the Mother City and I think I need a bit more time here to really understand what that actually means. I look forward to exploring this rich corner of South Africa in depth, and I look forward to hearing all of your recommendations. So, please add your favorite Cape Town travel tips in the comments and I will try to do as much as I can while I am here.

Like all my trips, I leave a lot of the larger details unplanned, but what I can assure you is that as long as I’m in Cape Town there will be quality art and cool architecture, amazing food (and very good wine!), new friends, perfect beaches, happy animals and spine-tingling sunsets.

Does it get any better than that?

Comments

1. Julie H. Ferguson
    Vancouver
    April 15, 2012, 5:23 pm

Take a couple of days to explore Cape Point. Penguins at Boulders, the Point itself, climb Cape of Good Hope and enjoy its Diaz beach, ostriches at the seaside, the Diaz and da Gama memorials, and several trails off the beaten path. Utterly fabulous!

2. se7en
    www.se7en.org.za
    April 15, 2012, 6:04 pm

Here’s a list of our favorite Cape Town outings… http://www.se7en.org.za/se7ens-outings
    If you do nothing else then spend a day chilling in Kalk Bay… go on an empty stomach there are heaps of fabulous places to eat there: breakfast, coffee, sea food, cape food, ice-cream… and lots of lovely goodies to look at and explore… http://www.se7en.org.za/2011/08/29/saturday-spot-the-great-kalk-bay-round-up

3. Hans-Erik Iken
    Wilderness
    April 15, 2012, 6:26 pm

If you have the time I strongly suggest you visit the Garden Route! Must see is the town Knysna. The area from George to the Tsitsikamma Forest is magical. Stunning mountains, rivers, lakes and beaches.
    This is one of the most popular holiday locations for South Africans from Cape Town to Jo’burg, and for good reason.
    Let me know if you do decide to come this way, I’ll give more detailed tips :)

4. Ryan
    Massachusetts
    April 15, 2012, 6:54 pm

Hey Andrew, I just returned from a two week press trip courtesy of South Africa Tourism. The few days we spent in Cape Town were incredible and I would love to get back there as soon as possible!

You can check out all of the articles I wrote about my experiences in SA, more specifically the ones from Cape Town over here…

Enjoy yourself!

5. Tom Betz
    Dothan, AL
    April 15, 2012, 9:23 pm

Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens don’t suck. http://www.sanbi.org (Biodiversity For Life)

6. Heather
    New Jersey
    April 15, 2012, 10:02 pm

I was just in South Africa 2 months ago… make sure you make time for Table Top Mountain! :)

7. Gillian
    Cape Town
    April 16, 2012, 12:23 am

Go for a hike from Constantia corner to the top of the Table, and then just sit there for a while. Walk back down and have a huge meal at Kirstenbosch or Alphen Hotel. Let’s go!

8. Natasha
    BC
    April 16, 2012, 12:31 am

Don’t forget to try koeksisters … growing up my sisters and I used to tease each other that mom & dad were cooking sisters. The V&A is nice ( and way more upscale then when it first opened). Tincity has some nice artwork.

9. Jo
    April 16, 2012, 12:47 am

Five of the best things to do in and around the Cape:

1) Visit the Creamery
    2) Drive the Cape Whale Coast
    3) Explore the West Coast
    4) Tour the Winelands
    5) River cruise at Viljoensdrift

1) Visit The Creamery

Visit The Creamery, a glorious ice cream shop. Their ethos and production method is very much in line with what NatGeo believes in.

“We make and sell natural ice cream, from ingredients we buy from local family farms. We go to a lot of effort to source ingredients that are grown and produced in a way that is kind to the environment and to animals, at the time of year they are in season, and tasting the best.Which all results in ice cream that’s pretty damn good, if we do say so ourselves.The Creamery: Honest-to-goodness, made-from-scratch, not-your-average ice cream.”

Links:

2) Drive the Cape Whale Coast (Simonstown-De Hoop Nature Reserve)

Drive from Simonstown (the naval base), along the coast through Fish Hoek, Kalk Bay, Muizenberg, Gordon’s Bay and Betty’s Bay (stop here for a night at the award winning new eco-cabins at the Kogelberg Nature Reserve if you like). Continue through Kleinmond, Hermanus and on to De Hoop Nature Reserve. Stay there overnight and do some walking in the unforgettable reserve.

Links:

Eco-cabins
    De Hoop Nature Reserve

3) Explore the West Coast (Cape Town to Paternoster)

The West Coast is uniquely beautiful in its wildness. Take the R27 and stop at Langebaan Lagoon, the West Coast National Park and the lovely little town of Paternoster with its delightful architecture. Try to be there when the fishing boats come in and the local dogs chase the boats up the beach.

Links:

Langebaan
    Paternoster

4) Tour the Winelands (Stellenbosch, Franschhoek, Paarl, and De Doorns)

Drive through the historic towns of Stellenbosch, Franschhoek (go to the chocolate shop here) and Paarl. There are plenty of wine estates for wine tasting and lunch! Drive through the Huguenot Tunnel (toll road here), and the remarkable Du Toitskloof Mountains. Pass Worcester and continue on to De Doorns for amazing views of the table grape farms in the valley below surrounded by impressive slabs of mountain.

5) River cruise at Viljoensdrift (Robertson)

Finally, for more wine tasting and a unique view of the Winelands, take a cruise down the Breede River at Viljoensdrift. The cruise is an hour long and you can purchase wines, locally made grape juices and a picnic for the cruise. Many people are fascinated by the peach-stone driveway.

Links:

Elephants Eye
    Steenberg wine estate
    Seal Island

11. Pedro Leonardo
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    April 16, 2012, 1:14 am

On Saturdays mornings, the market at The Old Biscuit Mill (Woodstock) is the place to be.
    Be prepared to have the best breakfasts of your life. That’s my favorite place in the world.

12. Lucy
    Cape Town
    April 16, 2012, 1:33 am

The graffiti art on the streets of Woodstock is a must see. Try and organize a guide to take you on a walking tour. We have some creative genii in this city (“,).

13. GeoLodges Uganda
    Uganda
    April 16, 2012, 1:45 am

Beezy Bailey’s building on Buiten Street!

14. Adriaan Bester
    Cape Town
    April 16, 2012, 1:48 am

A cycle from Cape Town Stadium, thru CBD onto MyCiti’s cycle lanes up to Big Bay against morning traffic

A walk up Lion’s Head

A moonlightmass cycle (every full moon thru streets of Cape Town with locals)

A sip in the Winelands

15. Carlen Vorster
    Malmesbury
    April 16, 2012, 1:56 am

After you have seen all of that, why not take a trip to the Swartland and follow the caon route? Or walk down the 16 mile beach at Yzerfontein all the way to Langebaan? We are less than an hours drive from Cape Town and boasts with a coffin in a hotel bar, A well in the local furniture store and the first Christian Woman convicted of murder is from the Swartland…. This happened in 1713 and involved a love affai with a slave…

16. kaaivin
    Paternoster Westoast
    April 16, 2012, 2:08 am

Welcome welome

I think you should consider traveling up the westcoast. please indicate and Ican arrange some accommodation etc…
    the mother city is great… but the westcoast is where the salt of the earth lives in perfect harmony with pristine nature!!!

17. Haute Cabriere Estate
    Franschhoek
    April 16, 2012, 2:17 am

Learn to sabrage (use a sabre to take the top off a champagne bottle) at our wine farm just outside Cape Town.
    It’s a fantastic party trick!

18. Jo Duxbury
    Cape Town, South Africa
    April 16, 2012, 2:27 am

Welcome back, Andrew! Great that you get a bit more time in this gorgeous city. My ‘I heart my city’ piece on Cape Town on the Nat Geo blog should give you lots of ideas: http://bit.ly/AjWfOM

Also, if you happen to be free on Thursday evening, it’d be AMAZING if you’d come along to the very first meetup for Cape Town Travel Addicts… more info here: http://bit.ly/Hnhfmj We’d love to meet you!

19. Cliff Lodge
    De Kelders
    April 16, 2012, 2:36 am

It is a beautiful drive along the coast (R44) to Hermanus & De Kelders. Here you can explore Walker Bay – view Great White Sharks, endangered African penguins, dolphins, various whales . . . a sea-safari like no other. You are welcome to stay with us at Cliff Lodge :)

20. jenna
    April 16, 2012, 3:43 am

hey andrew

welcome back to cape town.

some things i’d recommend, some of which i’ve never done but would love to!

1. underground city tour- you can do a tour in the storm drains in the city- http://goodhopeadventures.com/tunnel-tours

2. sex and the slaves city tour- http://walkinafrica.com.www22.cpt3.host-h.net/?page_id=39

3. coffee bean routes- have heard that these guys organize cool tours and homestays- http://www.coffeebeansroutes.com/

4. sa experiences- another alternative city tour company- http://www.saexperiences.co.za/

5. black ram, kloof neck road (next to the power and the glory coffee shop)- this is my favourite bar in the city, and a great place to taste the best of the country’s microbrews.

enjoy!

21. jenna
    April 16, 2012, 4:23 am

sorry!

the link to SA experience-it above is wrong, here is the right link- http://www.experience-it.co.za

22. Dennis
    Cape Town
    April 16, 2012, 6:14 am

Welcome to Cape Town.

As well as the main table of the mountain via the Cable Car you could try a walk on the back table of the mountain up Skeleton Gorge across to KasteelsPoort and down Nursery Ravine. You will visit the aqueduct, two of the 5 dams on the mountain and the museum with info all about the building of the dams. For GPS details of the route see http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=2579678

This route is best in January when the Red Disas (orchids) are blooming in/along the aqueduct, but beautiful at any time of year.

My favourite easy walk is the circular route from the Silvermine Reservoir (in Silvermine Nature Reserve at the top of Ou Kaapse Weg) around to Noordhoek Peak (with magnificent views over Hout Bay and Noordhoek) and back down to the reservoir.

Regards,
    Enjoy Cape Town

23. Mindy McAdams
    Bandung, Indonesia
    April 16, 2012, 6:16 am

I recommend setting aside an hour or two to stroll the boardwalk at Boulders Beach and watch the penguins up close. A lot of people just pop in at one end or the other and then leave, but if you like animals, it’s great fun to really get to know them.

I also enjoyed walking around Kalk Bay, but it’s insanely packed full on weekends.

Another thing that I would recommend leaving lots and lots of time for is Table Mountain — wait for a perfect blue sky and then get up there and let it soak in. Walk and sit, walk and sit, enjoy many of the amazing views. Like the penguins, this is something that makes you feel even more happy the longer you spend doing it.

24. Glenn
    Cape Town
    April 16, 2012, 7:00 am

Dinner at South Africas No. 1 Restaurant The Greenhouse
    Not to be missed.

25. Dana
    Atlanta, GA
    April 16, 2012, 7:25 am

I am traveling for the first time to South Africa with my boyfriend, and have found this comment section very helpful. Thank you. To all that have travelled to Cape Town how was the crime. I have heard many horror stories and am trying to balance my fear and love for adventure. We rented a condo through Vbro so no hotel for us. I am open to any advise

26. Thessa
    Cape Town
    April 16, 2012, 7:44 am

In addition to amazing scenery, Cape Town is also home to a collection of incredible artists that make original, quirky, contemporary work which is sometimes hard to find in the sea of curio and more traditional craft. To view work of almost one hundred local artists and designers, please visit The Fringe on Kloof on 99B Kloof Street (the extension of Long Street). We’d be happy to tell you a story or two!

27. Jennifer
    New York
    April 16, 2012, 11:27 am

I am wondering if anyone has traveled to Capetown alone? I am planning a trip for my birthday this October, but was warned by someone who has visited recently that it may not be the best place to travel solo (especially for a woman). Capetown sounds like an amazing place to visit and I was wondering what everyone here thought? Would it be advisable for a solo traveler to visit? I don’t plan on going out much, just hiking and seeing the sights. Thanks for your help!

28. Skye
    Cape Town
    April 16, 2012, 12:34 pm

Hi Dana
    Cape Town (and indeed South Africa) has been unfairly criticized for being unsafe and very dangerous. Cape Town like all major cities of the world have safe and unsafe areas.. Andrew might be able to give you specific feedback based on his first visit to Cape Town a couple of weeks ago but our advice to tourists (both first time visitors and those coming here for the umpteenth time) is to follow advice of the locals, stay within the main tourism areas, use a registered guide when you venture into informal settlements, and most importantly – use your common sense..

Please visit http://www.capetown.travel for information and specific tips on how to prepare for your visit..

We look forward to welcoming you in our city of inspiration..

29. Skye
    April 16, 2012, 12:42 pm

Hi Jennifer

We receive many solo (including women) visitors to Cape Town.

Cape Town has an excellent tourism infrastructure and the major attractions are very well connected and easily accessible.

I would recommend that you stay somewhere central in the City Bowl or Atlantic Seaboard where you can walk safely and easily to most places.

Follow the advice posted to Dana above and you should have an unforgettable time traveling solo in and around the Mother City..

30. Gabriele
    New York
    April 16, 2012, 1:56 pm

Love the Boulders Penguin Colony. You can actually adopt an African Penguin through SANCCOB. Its not just the right thing to do but also makes a great gift for the loved one’s at home. Here is the link http://www.sanccob.co.za

31. Gabriele
    New York
    April 16, 2012, 1:59 pm

oh, and another great thing to do is hiking down Table Mountain, one of the New7Wonders of Nature.

32. Nicola
    Johannesburg
    April 16, 2012, 4:34 pm

Asian street food… in the middle of Cape Town!

33. Jolene Janse van Rensburg
    Riebeek Valley
    April 17, 2012, 1:27 am

Visit the olive- & wine producers in the Riebeek Valley (part of the Swartland Wine- & Olive Route. Juliana Meredith of the Olive Boutique presents an excellent wine- & olive tasting. She is also the brainchild of the very popular annual Riebeek Valley Olive Festival hosted during the first weekend in May. For more information visit: http://www.riebeekvalley.info and http://www.swartlandwineandolives.co.za

34. Jolene Janse van Rensburg
    Malmesbury
    April 17, 2012, 1:34 am

Join the farmers in the Swartland on the Tweekuylen Bawaria Agri Route during their open day this Saturday – 21 April 2012. Visit working wheat and sheep farms, taste wine from a boutique cellar, enjoy local produce and meet the locals. Contact: Mia Louw at info@rondomskrik for details.

35. Jolene Janse van Rensburg
    Piketberg
    April 17, 2012, 1:43 am

Sample wines from at Org de Rac a certified organic wine farm on the banks of the Berg River, near Piketberg – about 120km north of Cape Town. View game in their game camp. The estate also boasts lavender/ rosemary plantings an olive grove and stunning views of the Swartland. A visit to protea and fruit export farms on Piket-bo-berg (farms on top of the Piketberg mountain) is also recommended. Horse riding through indigenous mountain fynbos and the farms on the mountain can be arranged.

36. Dianne
    Darling on the West Coast
    April 17, 2012, 1:47 am

Don’t miss a trip to Darling on the West Coast: ‘Only an hour out of Cape Town, but a million miles away!’ This vibrant country town offers experiences as diverse as world-class theatre at the Old Darling Station to home stays with traditional storytelling in the local community …and much, much more.
    Come enjoy the slow measured pace of West Coast life as you discover for yourself why it’s called darling!!

37. Jolene Janse van Rensburg
    Paardeberg
    April 17, 2012, 1:51 am

Revolt with the Swartland Revolution. A group of young wine makers from the Swartland is taking the wine industry by storm with revolutionary thinking. They focus on making wine without any additives and as little as possible interverance. The wine reflects the terroir of the Swartland. A visit to the off-the-beaten track Paardeberg area (close to Malmesbury) – +/- 80km from Cape Town – offers personalized wine tasting experiences in small boutique wineries or on the back of a truck in the middle of the vineyards.

38. Rika
    Darling
    April 17, 2012, 2:25 am

Take 40 minutes and visit Darling Village to experience real country living. It is of course also the home of Tannie Evita Bezuidenhout (AKA Pieter Dirk Uys) . Visit the quirky Theatre and do not miss South Africa’s BEST COUNTRY MUSEUM right here in Darling!

39. Shaun Mc Laughlin
    Darling
    April 17, 2012, 2:27 am

…and if you make it up to Darling please join us as our guest at Hilda’s Kitchen on the historic Groote Post wine farm for a wine tasting and lunch. Stunning wines and a restaurant that’s been nominated a top country restaurant for many a year. Hope to see you….

40. Frieda Lloyd
    Hermanus
    April 17, 2012, 2:46 am

Hermanus offers excellent Pinot noirs & Chardonnays with the best land based whale watching in the world. Southern Right Whales visit these shores from July till November. Hermanus is also fynbos country with the natural vegetation forming part of the smallest floristic kingdoms in the world. http://www.hermanuswineroute.com

41. Tasha St John-Reid
    Darling, Western Cape
    April 17, 2012, 2:49 am

Come to Darling, darling and see ‘Split Piece’ – ‘Darling made me do it’ by FALKO and his team – check out: http://www.graffitisouthafrica.com/news/categories/_artist-falko/

Darling has a large community of mixed media artists. Splitpiece fits in very well in this sector of Darling’s ‘features’. The Darling Artists have regular ‘open studio’ exhibitions, which facilitates ‘Splitpiece’ becoming part of the Darling Art route. This project has exposed the Darling community, where the artwork is featured in Akkerboomlaan – Darling East, to visitors, tourists and other locals therefore creating entrepreneurial prospects for the locals in that area. There are already 2 Home stays in Darling North, initiated by the Dreamcatchers program. These 2 accommodation venues are well established – COME STAY!

Split Piece with the help of The Darling Trust (www.thedarlingtrust.org) has become part of all the seasonal activities/attractions in Darling since it’s completion in April 2011, especially during Spring i.e.: The Annual Voorkamerfest (www.voorkamerfest-darling.co.za) which also draws visitors into all sectors of Darling residential areas and the Annual Darling Wild Flower Show 2 weeks after.

Split piece has definitely added to the need for a unique Darling town tour – bringing the community to the tourists and therefore enriching the community and giving tourists a more genuine cultural experience of the West Coast and Swartland districts.

The Darling Trust on behalf of the community feel privelged to be partnered with this project which is unique and has already enhanced the Darling Profile.

42. Tasha
    Darling, Western Cape
    April 17, 2012, 3:04 am

One of many other reasons why Darling should be on your calendar! THE VOORKAMERFEST – This one-of- a-kind festival carries an element of excitement for its audience in that the venues and performers remain a surprise until everyone arrives at their various voorkamers/home theatres. The way it works is that visitors buy a ticket to a route which has three voorkamer stops, each with one performance that is 25 minutes in duration. There are seven routes in total and the homes range from small township houses to some of Darling’s grand Victorian homes. Everyone meets at Evita se Perron where local taxis provide the transport for each route and the ’round-robin’ begins!

The Voorkamerfest was initially conceptualised by Pieter-Dirk Uys and the Dutch impresario Inge Bos, together with Wim Visser from the Carré Theatre in Amsterdam. Voorkamerfest 2012 caters yet again to all tastes and an exciting mix of theatre covers a wide spectrum of performance genres.
    The Voorkamerfest is a truly South African cultural experience and the successes of the eight previous festivals mean that this event has been eagerly awaited throughout the Cape and further afield. The festival will take place 31 August, 1 & 2nd of September and because seating is limited, advance booking is essential. visit http://www.voorkamerfest-darling.co.za for booking info – and 082 321 7542 DON’T MISS IT!

43. Annareth Bolton
    Stellenbosch
    April 17, 2012, 4:07 am

No visit to Cape Town is complete without a visit to the heart of the Cape Winelands – Stellenbosch! We are celebrating our 333th birthday! For an amazing list of things to see and do, visit http://www.wineroute.co.za/do_route.asp
    See you soon!

44. Annareth Bolton
    Stellenbosch
    April 17, 2012, 4:10 am

Sundays in Stellenbosch are magical! For more information on child-friendly farms, golf courses, shopping, museums, adventure sports, picnics, restaurants, and more, visit http://www.wineroute.co.za/sundays.asp
    See you on Sunday!

45. Michelle van Staden
    Durbanville
    April 17, 2012, 5:26 am

You should also try and sqeeze a visit to Durbanville Wine Route in. A mere 20 min from CT, the hidden gem of a wine region is not to be missed, enjoy our great wines, beautiful views of Table Mountain and unique regional dish. Visit http://www.durbanvillewine.co.za
    See you soon!

46. Chris du Plessis
    Clanwilliam
    April 17, 2012, 11:29 am

Ever heard of Rooibos tea? Unique South African – growns only in the Cedarberg Clanwilliam area. One of the most refreshing and healthiest teas. Although the area is about three hour’s drive from Cape Town, a visit to a tea estate with its own processing plant is almost a must for visitors. It can be combined with a tour to the West Coast. Rooibos tea safaris are offered by Elandsberg Eco Tourism.

47. Georgie
    Sarasota Florida
    April 17, 2012, 7:47 pm

Was born there..visted there in Sept (1st time in over 40 yrs)
    Must do’s
    Top of Signal Hill – noon gun – Malay cemetry
    Bo Kaap area
    curry at Bo Kaap Konbuis
    Waterkant – restaurants, bars
    Table Mountain
    Do the Red bus tour
    Go around the mountaneous route to Cape Point
    READ THE HISTORY OF THE CAPE!! soo interesting
    ps, Wish I was there! :)

48. Philippa
    Darling
    April 18, 2012, 12:50 am

SO many reasons to put Darling on your map… Darling’s own Darling Brew has a recently opened a taproom offering a food and beer pairing experience. Between our fabulous wines, olives, beer and culture all presented in typical west coast hospitality and style, it can’t be missed.

49. Angelique - Ceres Zipline Tours
    Ceres
    April 18, 2012, 3:19 am

Hi Andrew. Please do come and enjoy an AWESOME eco-adventure in our lovely town of Ceres (1,5 hrs from CPT) We offer 8 amazing zipslides varying in length from 100m – 300m, a total of 1.4km! Situated in the spectacular Skurweberg mountains, the nature and views are breath taking. It is an adventure of a lifetime and definitely one not to be missed! We would gladly accommodate you and your crew. Please feel free to contact me on cell: +27 82 337 2499.

50. Jennie Allison
    Langebaan
    April 18, 2012, 3:59 am

Everything you need to know about the West Coast Peninsula right here: http://capewestcoastpeninsula.co.za/who_we_are.php

51. Simon Liell-Cock
    Fish Hoek, Simon's Town, Ocean View, Scarborough, Red Hill, Cape Point
    April 18, 2012, 8:37 am

We have developed a Far South Peninsula Meander which includes items of interest from pre-history, Colonial history and Natural heritage.
    Please contact me and I will take you around.

52. Ansel
    Piketberg
    April 18, 2012, 9:43 am

Come visit to the West Coast. Even better, come visit the jewel of the West Coast, Piketberg. Architecture, art, culture, history, fynbos, khoi-san markings, and much, much more!

53. Sillabe
    Cape Town
    April 19, 2012, 8:01 am

Hi Andrew

As you are doing a Cape to Cape trip, you obviously need to go to Cape Point via Kalk Bay for its antiques shops – have lunch at Harbour House, you won’t regret it!, Simon’s Town for its military history, Boulders beach for its penguins, I know its cold but have a swim & take a pic… everyone will think you are swimming in 25 degres water! Return via Noordhoek (long Beach is a great spot for a quick surf), Chapman’s Peak and all the way to Camps Bay, best time to do it is when the sun goes down for some amazing colors!
    But for a real Cape to Cape, you need to go to Cape Aghulas! it is after all the point of Africa.
    You might be tempted with shark diving… I am personaly against it and the latest chumming is not helping but i am not going to start a debate here. However, to experience shark diving, the 2oceans aquarium does offer the opportunity to get up close & personal and dive in their predators tank… Architecture wise, you have been advised by many – walk in the city center and you will notice pieces of history all over – amazing to know that the CBD was under water originally ! You will find ancient “tags” close to the waterfront that very few know about… best would be to hook up with a local “walking guide” Franshhoek is as well very special, many great wine farms but as well the Huguenot museum that was originally in Cape Town but taken down and rebuilt brick by bricks where it now stands. If you love vintage cars, the car museum is great to visit too. For great food, le quartier francais is a must… their menu degustation does take a few hours though so make sure you do have time ! Of course all that can be done in classic cars or even a side car… Back in CT, be at the canon at noon… it’s diferrent & original ! and if you do decide to go up the west coast, enjoy the colors of Langebaan lagoon and the fresh crayfish in Paternoster! Ok, i am going to stop… but there is so much to do !!! Enjoy every moment of it!

54. Alain Dalais
    Mauritius
    April 19, 2012, 12:55 pm

Hi Andrew,
    How lucky are you visiting the Mother City.
    Of all the many places I visited I rank C.T first.
    If you have some spare time just stop at Bloubergstrand to take the nicest picture of Table Mountain with the sea in foreground, then enjoy a pique-nique lunch on the lawn of Boschendal Wine Estate near Stellenbosch (021)870 4274
    Have a good stay.

55. Rinda Nieuwoudt
    Kromrivier: Cederberg Tourist Park
    April 22, 2012, 1:59 am

Do take a turn-off from the N7 and visit the serene Cederberg Mountains with its unique rock formations and hiking trails.
    027 27 4822807

56. Elriza Rosenleft
    CITRUSDAL
    April 22, 2012, 12:20 pm

On the N7 (Cape to Namibie route) you will pass Citrusdal. A little town in the hart of the Citrus Valley. You must visit Poppie se Plaaskombuis, where Antie Poppie serve the traditional “Boerekos”. For example : Roast Potato, Leg of lam and Baked Pudding.

57. Buys Wiese Jnr & Christine Visser
    KNERSVLAKTE, VANRHYNSDORP, NAMAQUALAND
    April 25, 2012, 10:06 am

Head even further north along the N7 to cross the desolate quartz fields of the Knersvlakte – take the time to view the rare “blooming pebbles” as the area’s species of succulents are referred to. An early Autumn already has lots of these beauties blooming. The Succulent Hiking Trail on the farm Quaggaskop, north of Vanrhynsdorp allows close up viewing. Phone Buys for bookings at +27 (0)82 829 8669.

58. Jen
    DC
    April 28, 2012, 7:14 am

When i was living in Cape Town, I would ask people on the train commute every morning, “if I could only do one thing in Cape Town, what would you suggest?”

An inordinate amount of people said Mzoli’s (it’s in Gugulethu).
    Ask someone, and go there. You will NOT regret it.

Cheers!

Jen

59. click here
    January 12, 2013, 1:22 pm

Attractive component of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to say that I acquire in fact loved account your blog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing to your augment or even I success you access persistently rapidly.

60. nina
    Stellenbosch
    July 19, 2013, 5:00 am

Visit Cold Gold (www.coldgold.co.za) for the best natural ice cream and sorbet in over 500 flavours! Made with organic products as far as possible and no flavourants colourants or preservatives! you cant beat that!

July 22, 2013, 6:00 am