Lists are the bane of travel publishing. As I see it, an attempt to categorize and delineate any travel experience always seems to fall short. It also misses the whole essence of travel and exploration, which (in my opinion) is the unfurling of the known world and then watching with awe at the unknown happen in front of us by the second. It’s the surprise that makes travel so addictive.

And yet for all my words, here I am, punctuating my Ontario experience with a big fat list of all my favorite things in Ontario. Forgive me already.

I’ve normally refrained from making lists because honestly, travel isn’t grocery shopping. I say, travel should just happen–the good, the bad and the in-between. So why the exception here and now? Because I did so much in the great province of Ontario and I want to relish some of my favorite things from the trip.

And so, after all that long-winded disclaimer, I present you the following random list of solid recommendations based on my own personal experience. Please bear in mind that the following favorites are based on nothing other than my own tastes and opinions, which are very personal, so please don’t take it personally.

Andrew’s List of #ONTARIO Favorites:

TRAVELING

1. Ottawa Valley to Algonquin Provincial Park on Highway 60. Perhaps not the most grandiose of Ontario’s landscapes, but purely poetic.
  2. Lake Superior Shoreline, from Nipigon east to Rossport. Big spruce forests and lots of altitude for 180° views of the world’s largest freshwater lake. Simply magnificent.
  3. Manitoulin Island. You can’t go wrong in this part of Ontario. Like driving through a painting.

SLEEPING

Classic Canadian Caesar, with garnish.

EATING & DRINKING

• Restaurant: Quatrefoil, Dundas
  • Bar: Prospector Steakhouse, Thunder Bay
  • Pancakes: Hoito Finnish pancakes, Finlandia Club, Thunder Bay
  • Pastry/Coffeeshop: Nadege, Toronto
  • Butter Tarts: Tip Top Lodge, Atikokan
  • Wine: Lailey Vineyard, Niagara-on-the-Lake
  • Pizza: Mrs. B’s, Sault Ste. Marie
  • Schnitzel: Salzburger-Hof, Batchawana Bay
  • Burger: Big Bear Hotel, Hawk’s Junction
  • Cheese: Cape Vessey, Fifth Town, Prince Edward County
  • Drink: Virgin Caesar on the rocks, extra spicy, heavily garnished.
  • Weirdest: Maple Bacon Clam Lasagna (better than it sounds)

SHOPPING

PLAYING

19th-century architecture defines the simple, small-town elegance of Niagara-on-the-Lake. (AE/NG)

Favorite Small Towns

(I couldn’t choose just one, so I’m going with the following five):

• Nipigon (Population 1,800) Epic northern landscapes, small-town quiet; earnest summer flower gardens.
  • Renfrew (Population 8,000) About as picturesque town as you could imagine in the heart of the Ottawa Valley.
  • Bracebridge (Population 15,000) Old-fashioned brick-front stores and everything that makes Muskoka pleasant.
  • Cochrane (Population 5,500) True northern Ontario town, starting point of the Polar Bear Express, and hometown to Canadian doughnut hero Tim Horton.
  • Wawa (Population ) Home to the world-famous Wawa geese (there are 3 of the sculptures).

ARCHITECTURE

DOG

The dog Nikita, pining away for me.

Comments

1. Ken
    Toronto
    July 22, 2011, 9:00 am

A great summary of the highlites of your trip.

2. Scott
    Etobicoke
    July 22, 2011, 9:21 am

I’m surprised that Tim Horton’s didn’t make it on your list of Ontario favorites :))

3. Anne
    Ontario
    July 22, 2011, 9:24 am

Love your list Andrew. Thanks so much for visiting! I live very close to Dundas, so must try out that restaurant you recommend.
    Only suggestion would be, I really wish you had had time to visit the town of Bala, in Muskoka. With all due respect to our friends in Bracebridge, everyone who ever visits Bala falls in love with it. Very beautiful place to visit any time of year – particularly now by the Falls. Hope you are able to return sometime, maybe on your next trip to Algonquin! ;)

4. Ontario Travel Secrets
    Ontario
    July 22, 2011, 11:38 am

“Airport: Toronto Island YTZ. If only all airports were this efficient, pleasant, clean and convenient.”
    —YES!! I actually don’t DREAD going to the airport whenever I fly from here. LOL

5. Monica
    Missouri
    July 22, 2011, 3:54 pm

Wonderful list, Andrew. The best thing about it, you do such a wonderful job sharing your adventures, I feel like I’ve actually been there myself! Thanks again for the lovely adventures. God bless!

6. [...] http://digitalnomad.nationalgeographic.com/2011/07/22/best-of-ontario/ archive: National Geographic Traveler ← Street Fair And Festival In Kathu, Phuket Destinations [...]

7. [...] Best of Ontario – Digital Nomad [...]

8. felix chama
    lusaka, Zambia
    September 29, 2011, 3:08 am

Great job and wonderful sharing your adventures with Friends , i also feel good as if i have been there keep it up god bless you

9. Al Errington
    Wabatongushi Lake Ontario Canada
    February 29, 2012, 11:59 am

We enjoyed Andrew’s brief visit to our wilderness lodge. Our Dog Nikita appreciates the designation of “Favourite Dog”, she thinks so too. Glad you enjoyed the wildlife and Caesar.

10. Tracy Martin
    Clinton Township, Michigan USA
    February 29, 2012, 4:14 pm

Errington’s Wilderness Island is a place of supreme beauty. The wildlife is ample and amazing. The loons are my favorite with their enchanting song. The staff at the lodge are friendly and most helpful. Can’t wait to return someday soon.

11. Kody Watt
    June 7, 1:40 am

Aw, this was an exceptionally nice post. Spending some time and actual effort to create a superb article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a lot and never seem to get nearly anything done.