Yesterday I visited Nightingale Island, in the remote Tristan da Cunha island group in the far South Atlantic. The island was on my scheduled itinerary, however, the oil spill that preceded my visit was not. This brief video shows some of what I saw and you see my photo gallery here.

Comments

1. brian
    March 24, 2011, 9:01 am

Nightingale Island oilspill victims being rescued by SANCCOB staff – help save these endangered critters donate here http://www.sanccob.co.za/?m=1

2. Marilyn Terrell
    Washington, DC
    March 24, 2011, 5:46 pm

If you want to read Andrew’s first post about the oil spill:
    Click on the first photo to see the whole gallery!

3. Janae Nelson Hadley
    Payson, UT
    March 24, 2011, 10:22 pm

This is extremely horrible, I hope we all try harder in the future to protect animals from oil spills. Oil is just not worth it!

4. [...] Video: Nightingale Island Oil Spill – Digital Nomad. [...]

5. Jared Pearman
    March 25, 2011, 8:11 am

Great work Andrew, so glad you were there to capture this tragedy, and share it with all of us.

6. Caylan
    Calgary
    March 25, 2011, 8:12 am

So sad

7. Kevin Grant
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    March 28, 2011, 10:06 am

Such a tragedy, very sad indeed. I hope this story appears in the mainstream media soon (there is a lot happening right now) as that might benefit the rescue efforts. Huge thanks to all who are helping there, I feel so helpless.

8. Steven Arsenault
    Vancouver BC
    June 29, 2011, 11:33 pm

What sickens me is that there is a total solution to this man made problem. A process that shreds recycled tires into a material that harmlessly and effortlessly ‘sucks’ all the oil from an animal’s feathers or fur is available in abundance. Here’s the reality. Current oil removing technologies are time consuming therefore costly. Why if you are making millions using methods that don’t work would you move to something that takes no effort and therefore no money. It’s the greedy people from this generation that pass onto the next a world without wild creatures.. and potentially a planet that can’t sustain life.