Andrew Evans has made his way through Mexico and is now in Guatemala, riding this bus as we speak. Here’s a summary of some of his best tweets since entering the country. Stay tuned for more, and follow along on Twitter @Bus2Antarctica.

Guatemala Bus ¡Bienvenido a Guatemala! Pasaport stamped & walking up the street of fluttering blue & white flags.

Guatemala: where good schoolbuses go after they die.

The chicken in a bag on the floor of the bus doesn’t seem to appreciate the driver’s hard breaking.

Mayan woman washing clothes in a mountain stream; lays all the colors out on the rocks to dry. Like a crazy rainbow quilt.

Arrived in Huehuetenango. Around 50 madeover schoolbusses compete for passengers.

Paid 25 Quetzales to get to “Xela”: Quetzaltenango.

My ticket from the Mexican border to a town 300 km away = $4.23. DC taxi drivers please take note.

We at Nat Geo are just as addicted to the tweets as the rest of you — thanks so much for following along! Bookmark all of the Bus2Antarctica blog posts here, and follow him on Twitter @Bus2Antarctica. For more information about the Bus2Antarctica trip, go here.

Photo: Andrew Evans. Want more photos of Guatemala? Check out our photo gallery.

Comments

1. Paul
    January 6, 2010, 9:02 pm

$4.23 to cross the country ? Now, I believe that travel around the world is affordable!

2. Brian
    January 6, 2010, 9:10 pm

Over 1000 followers now, only on day six… I didn’t get twitter, but I’m totally hooked.

3. Lipe
    January 7, 2010, 3:35 am

Looks like a great 2010 destination!

4. Jeanine Barone
    January 7, 2010, 10:49 am

So glad that Andrew’s in Guatemala and that he made it to Guatemala City. I’d love to know what hotel he visited. But I see that his fresh fruit breakfast is a staple there. I just returned from Guatemala City where I had mango, banana, papaya and melons for breakfast every morning. Interestingly, I found the city to have so many unexplored and under-reported gems. Despite the car-choked roads, the city has some expansive green spaces, including the Botanical Gardens with its myriad winding paths. The city is also known for its tiny non-Starbucks coffee shops, which are all quite atmospheric. In addition, among the museums worth checking out, the Museum of Modern Art may be small but it packs a fine array of abstract works.
    Jeanine

5. Sonya
    January 8, 2010, 4:07 am

Thanks, I’m really enjoying the tweets from @Bus2Antarctica on Twitter!

6. Sago palms
    July 16, 2010, 4:27 pm

I can’t wait to see where Andrew will go next.
    I would love to go to Guatemala to meet indigenous Mayan people and learn more about the Mayan civilization.

7. enrico
    antioch
    November 6, 2013, 11:31 am

How do you feel right now?

8. enrico
    antioch
    November 6, 2013, 11:36 am

How do you feel right now?And your ssssssssssooooooooo cool