Andrew Evans is busy packing his bags and getting ready to leave for the ultimate road trip. But he needs some help preparing his playlist…

500-x-BusHome.jpgRoad trips are awesome, especially when they have a cool soundtrack to bring lyrics to the landscapes and capture each adventure along the way. Seeing as I’m about to embark on the ultimate road trip–10,000 miles to Antarctica–I am in search of the perfect playlist.

Which is where you all come in.

Long distance calls for a nice long playlist, so I’m looking for help in compiling “Bus2Antarctica”– the ultimate travel playlist that will keep me smiling well past the first hundred-mile marker.

And so I need your help in finding one hundred perfect songs that capture the essence of my upcoming journey. That means anything travel-themed or having to do with Antarctica, busses, National Geographic, wanderlust, ships, penguins, snow and the like. Remember that I will be spending a significant amount of time in Central and South America, so a few Latin beats would be nice, too.

Now, as a music lover, I’m pretty versatile. Switch my iPod on to shuffle and you’ll get a Beethoven symphony followed by The Clash followed by a Gwen Stefani remix followed by Spanish lessons. I like it all but I still have my favorites.

To give you an idea, here are some of my favorite travel songs that I most definitely will be including in my playlist: 10,000 miles by Mary Chapin Carpenter, Let’s Get Out of This Country by Camera Obscura, One Way Ticket by Mama Cass, Asleep on a Sunbeam by Belle & Sebastian, and Road by Nick Drake.

So start sending your ideas, please, I’d love to get at least one hundred cool tunes. Add your suggestions in the comments or Tweet them to me at @Bus2Antarctica. I will listen to your picks as they come in and start compiling from that. Once I’ve made my choices, I’ll publish my final playlist here. I’m leaving on Friday, so hurry up!

Andrew Evans leaves for his trip from National Geographic headquarters on January 1, 2010. Bookmark his posts here to keep up with his trip.

Comments

1. ana
    December 28, 2009, 3:59 pm

“Hit the road, Jack” never fails to put me in the mood for a roadtrip :)

2. Karen
    December 29, 2009, 8:54 am

First of all, congratulations on achieving your dream trip!
    So what you’re really compiling is a sort of “desert island” list, right?
    Massive Attack’s “Mezzanine” in its entirety. Not necessarily travel-themed, but it got me through numerous plane and helicopter rides in Iraq, Afghanistan, and life in other locales world-wide. In a strange and lovely way, this is my go-to comfort album.
    For some reason, I love Joan Armatrading’s “Down to Zero.”
    B-52′s “Roam.”
    For South America, listen to Ottmar Liebert’s “Nouveau Flamenco,” Rosanna’s “Lunas Rotas,” and anything Brazilian.
    You might find this interesting as well: http://www.worldhum.com/features/travel-stories/subcontinental-homesick-blues-20081209/
    Bon voyage, my friend, and all the best in 2010~

3. Zach Everson
    December 29, 2009, 10:05 am

I can’t think of a connection to Antarctica or the bus trip, but I never go anywhere without the complete recordings of Bruce Springsteen. If elected president of the U.S., I’d mandate all iPods come with his albums preloaded.

4. Lindsey
    December 29, 2009, 10:35 am

I always think of traveling and road trips when I listen to U2′s Joshua Tree album. Especially “Where the Streets Have No Name” and “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For.”
    If you’re taking requests for Japanese songs, then I’d recommend “endscape” by UVERworld (you should be able to stream it if you Google the song and band name along with “PV” for promo video). Maybe it’s because that was the theme song to a show about space travel, but it reminds me of traveling too. =)

5. Carl Parkes
    December 29, 2009, 4:10 pm

The following link leads a post about the hits of 2009. Also 2007 and 2008. You’ll find a link to download the top 25 hits. Stuff like Black Eyed Peas…good jumping music. Enjoy!

6. Carl Parkes
    December 29, 2009, 4:11 pm
  7. debdeb
    December 29, 2009, 5:24 pm

It’s already been mentioned, but “Roam” by The B52s just feels like it should be your theme song.
    Also:
    “Like a Rolling Stone” by Bob Dylan
    “Proud Mary” by Tina Turner (you know, for your boat trip!)
    “Wonderlust King” by Gogol Bordello
    And because I want you to occasionally remember those you left behind, “Washington, D.C.” by Magnetic Fields.

8. Tom Betz
    December 29, 2009, 5:54 pm

Ricky Nelson- Travellng Man
    Beatles- The Inner Light “The farther one travels, / The less one knows, …”
    Moody Blues- Thinking is the Best Way to Travel
    Buffett- Changes in Latitude, Changes In Attitude
    See http://www.bravenewtraveler.com/2008/05/02/30-songs-that-capture-the-spirit-of-travel/

9. Parth Joshi
    December 30, 2009, 2:50 am

hey.. have a blast and an eventful trip. here are some songs that come to my mind.
    1. tom petty- you don’t know how it feels
    2. bruce springsteen- born to run
    3. bruce springsteen- further up on the road
    4. bob dylan- highway 61

10. Allison Herzog
    December 30, 2009, 9:48 am

You definitely need a little Bob Seger–Turn the Page, Night Moves and Against the Wind. Also, The Weight, by The Band, some Jackson Browne and some classic sixties motown like the Four Seasons! Safe travels, can’t wait to read all about it!

11. Eve Javier
    December 31, 2009, 4:21 am

good luck and happy new year!
    fiction plane – anyone
    jewel – standing still
    natalie imruglia – beauty on the fire
    texas – say what you want
    moby - extreme ways
    kaskade – i like the way
    crowded house – dont dream its over
    jeff buckley – last goodbye
    10,000 maniacs – because the night
    mazzy star – fade into you
    sting – another day

12. Nipul Parikh
    December 31, 2009, 4:46 am

I love music. My play list is best for mine.

13. Dave
    December 31, 2009, 1:18 pm

Here are a few of my favorites for the road:
    Like A Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan (ultimate!)
    Three Little Birds by Bob Marley (relaxation)
    Chan Chan by Buena Vista Social Club (relaxation in Spanish)
    Flesh Into Gear by CKY (energetic)
    Llamado de Emergencia by Daddy Yankee (ok, this was more of a 2009 hit, but I heard it everywhere in Colombia for 6 months)
    Lebanese Blonde by Thievery Corporation (take a little DC with you)
    I’m Yours by Jason Mraz (overplayed, but still a great, chilled out traveler’s tune)
    A Dios Le Pido or La Camisa Negra by Juanes (celebrate Medellin and Colombia’s hometown hero)
    Don’t Look Back in Anger by Oasis (drunk Brits always seem to end up singing this tune at the end of the night)
    Cabron by Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Homeward Bound by Simon and Garfunkel (homesickness)
    When the Night Feels My Song by Bedouin Soundclash (homesickness)
    Buenas suerte!

14. Don Lee
    January 3, 2010, 7:46 pm

It might be too late but here are some of my favorite travel songs.
    AC/DC Ride On
    Al Stewart On the Border
    Allman Brothers Midnight Rider
    BTO Roll On Down the Highway
    Bob Seger Travelin’ Man
    Bob Seger Roll Me Away
    Dire Straits Ride Across the River
    The Doors Riders On the Storm
    Grateful Dead Truckin’
    JJ Cale Call Me the Breeze
    Led Zeppelin Ramble On
    And for some reason Pink Floyd’s “Any Colour You Like” always makes for good traveling music.

15. jessedziedzic
    jessedziedzic
    October 20, 2011, 1:17 pm

This surely makes great sense to anyone!!!

16. Marquette MI
    Marquette MI
    March 2, 2012, 1:07 pm

You could not be more on the money…